Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Peanut Brittle Run

In line at the neighborhood Eckerd's Pharmacy, things were getting a little tense. The 'church lady' looking woman being served at the register was there for the long haul. She made her third request for the cashier to go check a price, run down some Aspirin, or sort through the available stamps for just the right picture, when the gentleman three spots behind me cleared his throat. "B-itch", he hacked! The other five of us in the line glanced quickly in his direction, and most gave him an approving nod. I was late as usual for my Monday afternoon guitar lesson, and getting a bit antsy, myself. Just behind me, a little old lady in a brown knit cardigan and a matching knit beanie with two frolicking puppies embroidered on it, poked me in the back. I half turned toward her with a raised eyebrow. I couldn't wait to hear what she had to say about the unhurried shopper ahead of me.
"I'm going to pretend to faint", she whispered. "Catch me, and in the confusion the man behind me can push that woman out of the way".
That made me laugh right out loud. I thought I was the only one who got cranky when someone did their year's worth of business at the only open register with a long line behind them.
I shook my head 'no', and offered a suggestion. Turning toward the line which was now nine shoppers long, I said. "Listen folks, it looks like it's going to be a little while longer. The shopper ahead of me has just noticed that five of her items that are not marked correctly. How about we have a rousing sing along?"
That broke the ice. At least four shoppers wanted to sing songs. One suggested "Bringing In the Sheaves". Another thought that "Koumbyah" was appropriate, while two others wanted to sing sad songs of death and destruction. One guy just swore. We finally settled on "Margaritaville", a song everyone knew. After a verse of two of that, we had attracted a crowd of wide-eyed employees and shoppers. Most importantly, it accelerated the time it took the 'church lady' to decide she didn't need the disputed items. She paid and left the store.
The cashier thanked us profusely and the gathered employees and shoppers applauded vigorously.
I paid for the two boxes of peanut brittle I'd picked up, and went to my lesson.
It just goes to show you. Sometimes you can turn a bad situation around if you can only look at it from another point of view.

No comments: