Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Honk If You Give A Damn!

The privet hedge is now leafless. You may be wondering what that has to do with anything. Fair enough, so let me tell you about it. Six months of the year the bare hedge is not an obstruction to my view of traffic. I spend the other six months of the year slowly backing out of my driveway verrrrry carefully. I have a clear view from where the car is parked, and can easily tell if someone is northbound toward the hamlet. As I back into the road, I can clearly view the southbound traffic, and there is no problem there.
The trouble lies with the northbound traffic. Although the speed limit is 30 mph through our wide spot in the road, nobody slows much below 50-55,. Therefore, when you look to the south, a car that wasn't there scant seconds ago, is on top of you by the time your rear wheels hit the berm.
Enter the HORN! I have no idea why, in over 23 years of living here in 'the Springs' only about 3 folks have deemed it prudent to give me a toot to let me know they're coming. My hat is off to these people, and their caring for my safety. Sure, I may have seen them coming, because these safe drivers are not the ones doing double the limit sliding into the berg. I'm thankful for them and their ability to move their thumb an inch or two to save a life.
Yes, you'll get a 'bird' or two from the 10 year old as he teeters unsteadily down the road in front of your 3800 pound behemoth. But take a second to warn him that you're about to be crushing his body with your Goodyears. 'Bird' be damned, you may well have saved the little dude's life. He won't admit it, and he'll shout obscenities as you pass, ever knowing that maybe he's able to do that because you tooted.
A 14 year old boy got killed near here yesterday. A late November snow day from school, was his last day. He rode his sled down the family driveway into the path of a fairly slow moving vehicle. The driver says he saw him too late to stop. It was slippery, of course. The horn may not have played any part in this sad drama, but it makes one think of the possibilities.
So, as the Holiday Season comes upon us, let's all think a little about the other guy. He may flip the old "peg leg" at you, and he may yell out abuse. That's fine. Getting a one finger salute from a live person is one hell of a lot better than having their relatives standing over their bier, looking down, and saying, "that bastard should have blown his horn!"
If you care, blow your horn! Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: